Since there’s no motor, you’re doing all the hard work to keep the belt moving. Maintenance is more straightforward without worrying about electric components, and you can set it up anywhere you have space—no need for proximity to a power outlet.
We put in the research to present the five best manual treadmills and why they made the list. Discover essential considerations to factor in before you invest in your new training companion.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Manual Treadmill
Before you jump into the reviews, there are essential features to think about:
Size and Weight Limit
You want to have enough deck space to comfortably walk or run without feeling like you’ll overstep. If you’re on the heavier side, make sure the manual treadmill can support your weight.
Yes, manual treadmills can come with tech too: a console to track your progress and activity. This feature will typically add to the cost, though.
If you’re keen on doubling your effort, check for manual treadmills that allow you to change the incline.
Manual treadmills are proven to up the ante where it concerns workout intensity—but not all models have the same speed limits. Some aren’t built for extreme sprinting, so keep in mind how fast you want to go.
Are there fun extras that can add to your workouts, such as movable handlebars, or useful add-ons like wheels for easy transport?
Treadmills take a lot of abuse, and you don’t want yours to fall apart after a particularly vigorous session. Look for frames made of tough stuff such as stainless steel and non-slip, grippy deck surfaces to avoid nasty accidents.
Without the added weight and bulk of a motor, a manual treadmill is usually easier to store. Still, that doesn’t guarantee it’ll be foldable: think about where you’ll put it and how much room you have.
Manual treadmills are cheaper than their electric counterparts, but the cost can vary dramatically depending on the materials and features.
5 Best Manual Treadmills
Here are the five best manual treadmills to suit all demands and budgets:
MaxCare Manual Treadmill
- COMPACT AND ERGONOMIC: This compact, lightweight treadmill is excellent for small spaces. With and running surface of 50 in x 13 in, this treadmill is durable and can withstand power walking or light jogging. DIMENSIONS: 58L x 25.6W x 54H in / FOLDED DIMENSIONS: 25L x 26W x 57H in / NET WEIGHT: 65.4 LBS
- LCD MONITOR: Create goal specific workouts with the LCD monitor which allows the user to track time, speed, calories burned and distance. INCLINE ADJUSTMENT feature quick and easy 2 position incline levels of 6 and 10 degrees
- NON-ELECTRIC: The treadmills non-electric function is perfect for power saving without sacrificing performance. This also allows for flexible placement throughout your living space without the need of an electrical outlet. 8 RESISTANCE LEVELS: 8 levels of magnetic tension provide the opportunity for a full body cardio workout.
- NON-SLIP RUNNING SURFACE: Feel safe and secure on the sturdy non-slip running surface which supports a max weight of 220lbs. Twin 6.3 inch diameter flywheels provide a smoother and more consistent workout unlike other single flywheel manual treadmills
- CONVENIENT: Foam padded rail for comfortable hand position. Transportation wheels allow for easy mobility and storage
This affordable treadmill comes with various features that make it customizable to your fitness level and goals. You can adjust the incline from six to 10 degrees, and the band tension has eight levels of resistance to play with to meet your edge.
You can measure your pulse rate as you exercise, as well as calories burned, time, speed, and distance. It has a non-slip running surface for safety, and it’s simple to fold and store.
- Lightweight and compact with wheels
- Two incline levels
- Large LCD monitor
- Adjustable resistance
- Only supports 220 pounds
Sunny Health & Fitness 7700 Asuna
- PERFORMANCE: dual flywheel designed for Controlled performance for quicker response with every step. 51L x 17. 75W inch large heavy duty deck, designed to stand up to low to high intensity workouts
- DESIGN: heavy duty frame made with high grade steel with a maximum weight capacity of 440 pounds. Handle bars are sweat and slip resistant coated for a secure grip
- RESISTANCE: 8 levels of resistance offers even more intensity for your routines, workouts and training.
- INCLINE: Static incline position of 10 degrees is optimal for cardiovascular fitness. Hi- performance Trainer has 4 additional levels up to 14 degree incline to improve strength, and speed
- FLYWHEELS: sweat guard protection covers to keep fly wheels free of sweat and debris. Solid steel dual fly wheels for maximum Velocity and Minimal maintenance
The 7700 Asuna is a versatile manual treadmill that’s built to last. It’s ideal for moderately experienced to seasoned fitness enthusiasts. Multiple incline levels and ergonomic handlebars allow you to get creative with your workouts.
It boasts a large deck (51 by 17.5 inches) and can handle up to 440 pounds, making it appropriate for users of almost any size. The Asuna can support everything from a slow walk to speedy sprinting,
- Suits high and low-intensity workouts
- Four incline levels
- Sturdy steel build
- Handlebars allow for multiple grip options
- Includes wheels for transport
- Belt tension might be challenging for fitness newbies
- Large size might pose a problem for smaller homes
Fitness Reality TR1000 Manual Treadmill
- 230 lbs of user weight capacity. Steel frame with powder coated finish. Easy 'on and off' capability
- Incline adjustments feature quick and easy 2 position incline levels of 6 and 10 degrees
- Treadmill belt size 43"l x 13 1/4" w. Twin cast iron flywheels for smooth and quiet walking
- Computer has an LCD display featuring elapsed time, distance walked, calories burned, speed and Scan
- Folds up easily for storage and can be moved with included transportation wheels. Folded dimensions: 21"L x 23"W x 51"H
The TR1000 should appeal to those of you who are tight on space: it has wheels for portability and folded dimensions of 21 by 23 by 51 inches. Two flywheels that help get the belt rolling fast also make it an ideal choice if you’re not ready for ultra-punishing workouts.
This manual treadmill delivers a touch of technology with a battery-powered console. You can monitor distance, calories burned, and the speed you’re going at.
- LCD console
- Foldable with wheels
- Compact design
- Two incline levels
- Might get wobbly if you start to run
- Not as durable as other options
Sunny Health & Fitness SF-T7723 Force Fitmill
- MULTI-GRIP HANDRAILS: Sweat-resistant rails support many grips, so you can push against the tread and run or walk in various positions
- AMPLE TREAD DECK: Large running surface (53L X 16W) provides support and room for exercise. The manual treadmill measures at 59L X 27W X 55H inches with a max weight of 300LBS. 13. 5% Fixed Incline
- MANUAL TREAD: Requires zero electricity and completely self-powered. The adjustable resistance and fixed incline allow you to enjoy a versatile and muscular power based cardio workouts
- 16 RESISTANCE LEVELS: 16 levels of magnetic tension provide the opportunity for a full body cardio workout.
- DUAL STRUCTURE FLYWHEELS: Creates stable and smooth response for the user. Weight of flywheels requires a higher energy demand from the user to get the belt started. Increases speed, power output and tensions
The SF-T7723 is bound to take your exercise sessions to the next level, with 16 levels of magnetic tension. This treadmill is for intense workouts: weighted flywheels mean you need to expend a lot of effort to get the belt moving.
A fixed incline of 13.5 degrees ups the challenge regardless of your speed. Rubber stabilizers work to keep it still while you push yourself.
- Easy to store and set up
- Sturdy construction
- Handles up to 300 pounds
- 16 levels of tension
- Soft-drop open to avoid damage
- Fixed incline
- Extremely challenging—not for the faint of heart
EFITMENT Magnetic Manual Treadmill
- RUNNING SURFACE— Move naturally with the ample walking or jogging surface 42 inches in length and 13 1/2 inches wide.
- MANUAL POWER— Energy saving design allows the body to be the motor. User determines the speed.
- LCD CONSOLE— Large easy to read simple to use LCD digital monitor displays: Speed, Time, Distance, Calories, Odometer
- SCAN FUNCTION—Repeatedly displays user’s workout metrics, this allows for a more hands free user experience. Displays each metric for 4 seconds
- OPTIONAL ARM EXERCISERS—Sturdy adjustable tension handle bars that move with natural arm swing during the walking
This manual treadmill by EFITMENT is a great option for those who want to mix up your workouts. Aside from traditional handlebars, it has arm exercisers to allow you to sculpt your upper body too. You have options for how hard you want to go with three incline levels, and you can adjust the band’s resistance to suit your fitness level or workout of the day.
- Adjustable resistance
- Foldable with wheels
- Option for upper body workout
- Three incline levels
- Digital console to track distance, calories, pulse rate, and time
- Lower weight limit of 220 pounds
- Handles are short, which might bother taller users
Manual treadmills are an excellent alternative to an electric treadmill you may not have money or space for. If you’re building up your home gym like many of us these days, one of these devices can take your workout to the next level.
Remember to consider your own unique needs before bringing one home and what you expect where it concerns speed, incline size, handlebars, and extras like a console. You can rest assured that the best manual treadmills we reviewed make the cut in terms of quality and suit budgets of all types.