Your body lacks the natural ability to produce prebiotics. Neither can it digest them. Even so, these sugars and fibers are essential for optimal gut health — they feed the good bacterium (probiotics) that naturally exist in your gut.
Sources of natural prebiotics include fermented foods and high-fiber vegetables. Besides, you can also take prebiotic supplements to help maintain a healthy number of probiotics.
Unfortunately, choosing the best prebiotic supplement can be challenging—the market is flooded with a range of these products.
However, there’s no cause for worry. This article will give you helpful supplementing information, plus a list of the best prebiotic supplements for better digestive health.
Best Prebiotic Supplements
The increasing popularity of the advantages of prebiotic supplements has resulted in a higher demand for the products. As a result, more companies are producing them, leaving consumers with a long list to choose from.
To make it easier for you to decide, here is a refined list of the best prebiotic supplements from Amazon.
1. Bullet Proof InnerFuel Prebiotic Fiber Powder
- Support Gut Health: With 17g of prebiotics per serving to promote healthy digestion and immune function
- Plant-Based Gut Health: Prebiotics feed probiotics, the good bacteria in your gut
- Keto Friendly: Zero sugar, helps keep blood sugar from spiking after meals
- Lab Tested: For purity and potency; naturally sugar free, gluten free, non-GMO, soy free and no added dyes
- Easy To Use: Unflavored, quick dissolving powder; add to your favorite beverage (Packaging May Vary)
- Form: Powder
- Flavor: Unflavored
- Ingredients: Organic Acacia, partially hydrolyzed Guar Gum, and Larch Arabinogalactan
The Bullet Proof Innerfuel Prebiotic is a keto-friendly gut health supplement. Therefore, you don’t need to worry about high blood sugar levels after meals. This non-GMO product is also soy-free and doesn’t have synthetic dyes making it a very healthy supplement. Lastly, the manufacturer was thoughtful enough and made it available in powder form. As a result, you can easily use this good gut bacteria supplement by adding it into your favorite beverage.
- Flavorless and therefore mixes well with all beverages
- Comes in an easy-to-carry container
- Does not cause bloating
- Improves your gut health which leaves you feeling energized
- Contains Guar Gum which can cause allergies
2. Dr. Tobias Prebiotics
- Made with PreforPro- a specialized plant fiber that acts to stimulate the growth of healthy gut bacteria for better digestion
- Dr. Tobias is making the conscious effort to reduce its carbon footprint by eliminating our product boxes. Your package could arrive with a box or without but rest assured the product is authentic and Dr. Tobias made.
- Supports overall gut health- bloating, diarrhea and intestinal issues affect many people. Dr. Tobias prebiotics nourishes the flora of the intentional lining to promote regularity and ease discomfort such as gas and bloating
- A healthy microbiome can help with cholesterol and blood sugar levels and also boost your immune response. It can also help with mood and weight loss management
- Made from vegan and non-GMO ingredients and Manufactured in the USA
- Form: Capsule
- Flavor: Unflavored
- Ingerdients: PreforPro
Aside from its GMO-free feature, the Dr. Tobias prebiotic supplement is made from vegan-friendly sources, making it a healthy choice. Secondly, you don’t need to refrigerate it, making it an ideal supplement on the go. The prebiotic is also made from PreforPro, a plant fiber that promotes the growth of probiotics for optimal gut health.
- Eases gas and bloating.
- Strengthens the immune system
- Easy to ingest small capsules
- Helps to reduce weight
- Combines well with probiotic supplements
- Can cause discomfort in the initial period of usage
3. Zenwise Health Digestive Enzymes Plus Prebiotics & Probiotics Supplement
- Achieve digestive comfort today – Zenwise Health Digestive Enzymes are powerful supplements with a natural Enzyme, Prebiotic, and Probiotic blend to promote healthy digestion for men and women.
- Immune-Boosting Probiotic – The gut is home to 70% of the body’s immune response, so this supplement features proprietary DE111, a probiotic strain clinically shown to enhance immune system response.
- Hard-to-Digest Foods Have Met Their Match – This formula features an Advanced Multi Enzyme System to help you digest fried, spicy, raw, and processed foods, plus dairy and acidic fruits and veggies.
- Relieve Gas, Bloating & Discomfort... Before You Eat! – This supplement features Turmeric, Ginger, Green Papaya, Inulin, Apple Pectin, Bladderwrack, Fennel, and Wakame to aid gut health and stomach comfort.
- Supports Gut Flora & Enzyme Levels as You Age – The Prebiotic, Probiotics (L-Acidophilus, L-Plantarum, L-Salivarius), and Enzymes support gut bacteria and enzymes your body isn't producing as you age.
- Form: Capsule
- Flavor: Unflavored
- Ingredients: Advanced Enzyme & Prebiotic System (Glucoamylase, Inulin, Amylase, Cellulase, Invertase, Lactase, Bromelain, Bacterial Protease, Lipase, Maltase [Aspergillus niger]), Papain, Papaya Fruit Powder, Sea Vegetable Complex (Wakame, Nori, Bladderwrack Extract), Fennel Seed Powder, Turmeric Root Powder, Apple Pectin, Ginger Root Powder, Peppermint Leaf Extract, Probiotic Blend (Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis DE111, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Bifidobacterium animalis lactis, Bifidobacterium breve, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Lactobacillus salivarius), Capsule (Hypromellose, Water), Magnesium Stearate, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Silica, Sulfites, and Microcrystalline Cellulose.
As the name suggests, this supplement features several enzymes that help your gut digest the no-so-easy-to-digest food like fried food, acidic fruits, and dairy products. Furthermore, it is not just a prebiotic; it also contains probiotics that assure you of a healthy gut in a single serving.
If you have digestive issues such as bloating and gas, taking the Zenwise Health Digestive Enzymes can help you find relief. Thanks to the carefully selected ingredients like bladderwrack, ginger, turmeric, Inulin, green papaya, fennel, apple pectin, and wakame.
- Three-in-one package (enzymes, probiotics, and prebiotics)
- Doesn’t need refrigeration
- Source of natural antioxidants (sea vegetable complex)
- Any gender can use it
- Vegan and vegetarian-friendly
- Cause minor digestive stress, nausea, and bloating
4. Hyperbiotics Organic Prebiotic Powder
- SUPPORT YOUR GUT BACTERIA. Prebiotics are to probiotics what fertilizer is to a garden: they are the specific fibers that support your healthy bacteria and help them “set up shop” and thrive within your digestive tract. The problem? Incorporating enough of these critical foods into your diet can be extremely difficult. That’s why we’ve combined these powerful food-based (nothing synthetic here!) prebiotic fibers into a simple daily spoonful of goodness.
- LOOK AND FEEL YOUR BEST. In the last 10 years, scientists have uncovered the importance of our microbial health for our overall health. We now know that nurturing the right balance of microbes in our digestive tract through prebiotic foods supports digestive and immune function, healthy weight management, energy levels, brain function, and mental clarity.
- MAINTAIN YOUR GUT BARRIER. There are two critical factors in your digestive and overall health—the balance of your gut bacteria and the composition of your intestinal wall—and together these make up your gut barrier. The food-based ingredients in this complete multivitamin powder have been clinically studied to support your gut barrier by encouraging the growth of beneficial bacteria.
- AVOID STOMACH UPSET. Hyperbiotics Prebiotic Powder is a proprietary blend that is designed with sensitive stomachs in mind. Acacia Fiber actually slows fermentation to support digestive health. What’s more, our digestive enzymes supplement is an ideal mix of inulin, FOS, resistant starch, and soluble dietary fiber that gently supports your gut and the growth of your good bacteria, supporting nearly every aspect of your health.
- CHOOSE FOOD-BASED, NATURALLY-OCCURING, & ORGANIC. Many prebiotic supplements contain synthetic, or man-made, ingredients and at Hyperbiotics, we believe our bodies deserve better. That’s why our prebiotic powder is an organic, food-based blend with a nutritional makeup rich in beneficial micro and macronutrients that your body can more readily recognize and absorb. This makes it the perfect addition to your smoothies and soft foods.
- Form: Powder
- Flavor: Unflavored
- Ingredients: Organic Prebiotic Fiber Blend (Organic Jerusalem Artichoke Fiber, Organic Acacia Fiber, Organic Green Banana Flour)
One of the unique features of Hyperbiotics prebiotic supplementation is that it 100% organic. Since it is plant-based and non-synthetic, the health benefits are unparalleled, and vegans and vegeterians can consume it.
It promotes the maintenance of probiotics, therefore supporting healthy digestion, weight management, and body metabolism. Furthermore, you only need a single spoon of the powder for a healthy gut and better digestive health.
- Lightweight, therefore easily portable
- Doesn’t contain synthetic additives
- Comes in powder form, making it easy to ingest
- Soy-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free
- 100% organic
- Tasteless therefore mixes well with any beverage
- Can cause bloating during the initial periods of usage
5. GoBiotix Prebiotic Fiber Boost Powder
- 🌿ORGANIC & PLANT-BASED GUT BACTERIA SUPPORT: Prebiotics are essential for healthy bacteria to thrive within your digestive tract and to ease bloating. OUR CLINICALLY PROVEN TASTELESS PREBIOTIC, made from Nutraflora FOS, is an organic, food-based blend with a nutritional makeup, RICH IN BENEFICIAL MICRO AND MACRO NUTRIENTS that your body can more readily recognize and absorb. This prebiotic fiber supplement also blocks dietary lectins, completely forming a healthy gut ecosystem.
- 💪DON’T JUST LOOK GOOD, BUT FEEL GOOD: This cutting-edge stool hardener & keto fiber supplement blend helps promote OPTIMAL DIGESTIVE FUNCTION, increases energy levels, supports brain function, mental clarity, and immune function. Furthermore, we now know that nurturing the right balance of microbes in our digestive tract through prebiotic foods supports healthy weight management so that you can DECREASE BLOATING with our effective fiber powder unflavored and look your best.
- 🔄 OPTIMAL DIGESTIVE FUNCTION FOR ANY DIET: No matter which diet you are on, you probably don’t incorporate enough of these food types into your diet. As a result, we’ve combined POWERFUL FOOD BASED INGREDIENTS AND PREBIOTIC FIBERS for all diets, including low carb diets like the keto diet. Embrace a simple daily serving that will make you look and feel great! By implementing prebiotic foods into your regimen can accelerate your metabolism, and discourages the growth of unfriendly bacteria.
- ❌NO ARTIFICIAL OR REFINED SUGARS + LOW CARB: Looking for unflavored prebiotic fiber powder? At Gobiotix we NEVER use artificial sugars, added sweeteners, refined flours, or use ingredients containing hydrogenated oils, pesticides, herbicides, hormones or antibiotics. We ONLY use the highest quality REAL Food ingredients that are Organic, Sprouted, Vegan, and Paleo. This is your QUICK EASY MIX which is easily digestible & gut-friendly fiber supplement.
- ✅HIGH-QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS FROM A BRAND YOU CAN TRUST: At GoBiotix, we use only the highest-quality ingredients, produced under strict quality standards and inspection in a GMP certified facility, right here in the USA!
- Form: Powder
- Flavor: Unflavored
If you’re looking for an organic, sugar-free prebiotic supplement, then GoBiotix prebiotic powder can be an excellent choice.
The supplement not only provides you with prebiotics for a healthy gut, but it also blocks the harmful dietary lectins, which enhances the absorption of nutrients.
The GoBiotix prebiotic is also keto-friendly and is produced in a GMP-certified facility, ensuring consistent production of high-quality supplements.
- Low-carb, gluten-free, plant-based supplement
- Helps fight harmful bacteria
- Rich in easy-to-absorb micro and macronutrients
- Supports brain function and immune function
- Becomes thick and clingy when mixed with cold water
- The lid can cake up, making it difficult to open and close
Criteria for Choosing the Best Prebiotic Supplements
As with any other product, due diligence is essential when buying prebiotics supplements. Beyond a fantastic product packaging design, it’s vital to determine whether a manufacturer uses GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) Standards.
The GMP system ensures that manufacturers consistently produce high-quality products. Therefore, be sure to confirm that:
- The company has a complete company information (About Us) page
- They have experts like certified nutritionists and doctors in their list of Board of Directors and staff
- They have an actual physical mailing address
- They have a working toll-free number
- Their claims have a strong backup from existing research findings
Further, it’s essential to consider the supplement itself. To ensure you choose the best prebiotic supplements, here is what you should look for:
Every year, over 50 million Americans suffer from allergies. Allergies are the result of the body’s immune system reacting to a naturally harmless element. The magnitude of the reaction can be minor, while in some cases, it can be fatal.
Also, some allergic reactions occur during later stages in life. Therefore, it is crucial to consider the aspect of allergies before buying prebiotics. In other words, be sure to purchase allergen-free prebiotic supplements such as those that are gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free. They are readily available in the market.
Generally, prebiotics are quite affordable. Their prices range between $10 up to $50 depending on the manufacturer, size, and ingredients. It is essential to identify prebiotics that fit within your budget. However, that shouldn’t mean random low-priced purchases. You might buy sub-standard products, to your detriment.
Sometimes, companies may need to include specific ingredients to just balance a supplement. In fact, the additional components may be serving no purpose, but it is mentioned in the ingredients.
In other cases, manufacturers can add specific elements but fail to disclose them in the list of ingredients. Undisclosed components can be harmful, and in such instances, a third-party lab can be of help.
The third-party lab conducts an independent test and helps publish the results. Since it usually has no connections with the supplement manufacturer, the chances of bias are minimal. You can use the results to gauge whether you can take the supplement without contraindications.
Given that the gut hosts numerous good bacteria, the best prebiotic supplements will comprise different ingredients. Otherwise, the supplement will favor one type of bacteria.
The result will be an increased population of the favored bacteria. That sets you up for illness arising from the imbalance. With that in mind, be sure to choose a prebiotic with diverse ingredients.
The negative impact of fertilizers and other chemical in plant production has been frequently highlighted. Not only do the elements pollute our water bodies, but studies show that aquatic life has not been spared either.
Additionally, the traces of fertilizer that find their way into the food you eat can cause diabetes mellitus and hemoglobin disorders.
Although the best prebiotic supplements are made using advanced technology and high-quality plant ingredients, that does not rule out the probability of traces of fertilizer passing through the process and into the final product. Therefore, you’re better placed if you buy prebiotic supplements made from organic sources.
Lastly, be sure to read customer reviews. First-hand information is reliable, and it can help you quickly identify the most current, most improved, and most reliable prebiotic supplements. Negative feedback should be a red flag—move to the next product. It never hurts to be cautious.
The Best Way to Take Prebiotics
The best way to ensure you have a sufficient number of prebiotics is by combining the prebiotics in your food with prebiotic supplements.
The gut is home to different types of healthy gut bacteria. So, it is essential to buy the best prebiotic supplements to ensure that the various strains of beneficial bacteria are well-nourished and continue to grow.
Depending on the type of prebiotic supplements, you can take them on an empty stomach or after a meal. Either way, be sure to be consistent by choosing a specific time of the day and sticking to it.
If you suffer from digestive disorders like Cohn’s disease or IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), it’s advisable to experiment to avoid taking prebiotics when you’re most susceptible to discomfort.
If you’re already taking probiotic supplements, that becomes an excellent combination. However, it’s advisable to avoid taking probiotics and prebiotics simultaneously. They can react too early, which denies you the benefits of supplementing. The best regime is to start with your probiotic supplement, wait for 10 to 15 minutes, then take prebiotics.
Should You Really Take Supplements?
You’re exercising. Right.
Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables. Fine.
Drinking enough water. Great.
Yet still, you’ll need supplements and, in this case, a prebiotic regimen.
Here is why:
Taking a capsule is easier than eating a pound of kale. For seniors, prepping, cooking and chewing can be difficult. As a result, obtaining the daily recommended serving can be challenging. Supplements are easy to ingest and can help bridge the nutritional gap and keep the body in great shape.
Prevent Expensive Health Issues
Prevention is better than cure, so the old saying goes. Taking supplements is among the viable ways to keep your body in perfect health. It helps you avoid needless, endless, and costly trips to the doctor.
Adjusting Dietary Habits
Changing your eating habits can be challenging, especially for seniors. However, you can supplement even as you try to adjust your eating habits. With patience and consistency, it’s possible to make the necessary lifestyle adjustments while at the same time providing your body with nutrients.
Helps Avoid Harmful Chemicals
Current farming trends involve heavy reliance on pesticides and herbicides. Coupled with rapid environmental pollution, you may need supplements to reduce your intake of harmful chemicals and help protect the environment.
Erratic Eating Habits
Keeping up with the demands of an ever-rushing world can be tiresome. As a result, more people are getting into the trap of eating highly processed junk food. However, you can reduce the impact of the damage of erratic eating habits through supplementation.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between prebiotics and probiotics?
The gut is home to numerous bacteria that play different roles, such as helping with digestion. These good bacteria are also known as probiotics. Since bacteria are living micro-organisms, they need to feed. What they feed on is called prebiotics.
Isn’t the food that we eat sufficient for probiotics?
Prebiotic supplements ensure that the good bacteria receive the right type and amount of nutrients for them to grow. Therefore, although probiotics feed on what you eat, the micro-organisms need supplements to help them grow in a balanced manner.
How long do I need to take prebiotic supplements to see positive effects?
It takes time for probiotics to respond to prebiotics. Therefore, it is advisable to take supplements continually for the best results. Note supplements bring about changes in the environment of good bacteria in your gut.
Therefore, you might experience discomfort such as diarrhea, constipation, and bloating. However, the symptoms usually clear after a few days. Be sure to stick to your regime unless the reactions become unbearable.
To reap the benefits of prebiotic supplements, the recommended daily dose for adults is 5 grams. Remember, children and pregnant women should only take supplements under a doctor’s instructions. It’s essential to buy the best prebiotics since they allow you to measure your daily intake.
Consider buying prebiotic formula in powder form. It is easier to take than capsules or gummy because you can sprinkle it on food or add it to your favorite beverage. Also, pills may lack a sufficient amount of prebiotics.