Suspension training isn’t a new approach to developing core body strength and improving joint and muscle stability. However, modern technology created cutting-edge systems that allow users to make the most of their body weight to get fit almost anywhere.
If you want to upgrade your workout with a suspension training system, it helps to know what to look for and which products dominate the space. We created a buyer’s guide with everything you need to know, including a list of the best suspension trainers available.
Table of Contents
Though we frequently see suspension training by advanced athletes and military personnel, it’s an excellent full-body workout for many people. Using your body weight and a system of ropes and webbing, you can work on strength, joint stability, balance, and flexibility, even in tight spaces.
It’s important to note that while suspension trainers have many benefits, you need sufficient core stability to maintain enough control for a safe, effective workout. There are exercises for beginners, and it’s relatively easy to adjust the workout to match your needs and abilities.
All suspension trainers work on similar principles, but that doesn’t mean you don’t have choices. Let’s take a look at some of your options and what to look for when shopping for equipment.
The number one thing to consider before purchasing suspension training equipment is the maximum weight capacity. Though most products can manage up to 400 pounds, it’s a good idea to double-check, so you don’t injure yourself with inadequate equipment.
Generally, suspension trainers use one or two attachment points, also known as the anchor point. Some use multiple points, but those require more work to install and may not be portable. Additionally, if you like the idea of taking your equipment on vacation or business trips, you may want to look for something that’s easy to transport.
Most products use some type of nylon with metal buckles and connectors, but don’t forget to check the handles. You want something comfortable, easy to hold, and sturdy.
Some systems incorporate multiple styles, but generally, you can break suspension trainers into four categories.
- Suspension straps may be the most popular option. The lightweight straps connect to a single attachment, which may limit the exercises you can do but makes for a mobile workout routine.
- Gymnastics rings aren’t just for gymnasts. They rely on two attachment points allowing you to work your limbs in unison or separately to add variety to your workout.
- Swings may not be the most flexible option, but you can do a lot with them. Of course, the easiest place to test them out is your local park.
- Yoke Bars have single and double attachment points that create a more challenging workout due to the instability. You can perform multiple exercises, and most systems include various attachments to expand your options, but they are hard to come by outside of specialty stores.
Now that you know what to look for, let’s dive into our top equipment picks. We considered the packages, performance, and reviews to build this list.
TRX GO Suspension Trainer System
- ALL LEVELS, ALL GOALS - TRX GO is a lightweight Suspension Trainer, easy to use at home or on the go, easy to pack & travel. Perfect for fun, fast and effective workouts in as little as 20 minutes per day. Workout anywhere, anytime and advance at your own pace.
- ONE POUND WONDER - Includes Suspension Training Strap, Indoor/Outdoor Anchors & Mesh Carry Bag. Download TRX Training App for hundreds of workouts by world-class trainers. TRX GO is the perfect Home Gym complement for all types of training.
- PROVEN RESULTS – Bodyweight Suspension Training has been proven to increase muscular activation, reduce injury risk and accelerate results. TRX allows you to build lean muscle, burn fat, increase range of motion, and improve your performance in life and sport.
- SAFETY-TESTED – TRX is safety-tested to support bodyweight up to 700 pounds. TRX has been used for over 10 years by the US Military, Pro Sports teams, and world-class athletes worldwide and comes with our full TRX two-year Superior Quality Warranty.
- YOUR TRIAL TO THE TRX TRAINING CLUB APP: Experience unlimited access to 500+ on-demand workouts: weight training, cardio, cross-training, sport athleticism, resistance and mobility training, and prehab and rehab. Find 100s of workouts for every goal! All workouts guided by world-class certified TRX trainers.
TRX may be the top name in suspension training equipment, and the GO system is one of the most versatile sets in the popular line. Lightweight, portable, and easy to use, the GO system works indoors and outdoors.
Despite being a lightweight system with limited pieces, you get a lot for your money. The set features two anchors, one for indoor use and the other for outdoor spaces. Patented single anchor technology and a locking loop mechanism make this system adjustable and exceptionally safe.
With more than 100 possible workouts, you can vary your routine to avoid boredom and still complete full-body training in about 20 minutes. You get two guides and a carry bag to keep everything together in one compact design.
- Max weight limit: 350 pounds
- Product weight: 1 pound
- Color: grey and yellow
- Anchor style: single
- Accessories: two workout guides, carrying bag
- Lightweight and portable
- Works for indoor and outdoor use
- Excellent variety of workouts
- Integrated handles and foot cradles
- May not be strong enough for some users
- Some users noted that the indoor anchors may slip in some situations
Lifeline Jungle Gym XT Suspension Trainer System
- Lightweight resistance training alternative to weights
- Low impact workouts great for rehab
Lifeline offers a unique take on suspension training with its Jungle Gym XT system. The safe, non-scuff anchor has two links so that you can use one strap or two for your workouts. You don’t get a lot of bells and whistles with this set, but you get durable, quality straps with helpful features.
Both straps have adjustable buckles and ergonomic handles with non-slip material for a comfortable workout. Plus, the handles double as foot cradles to expand your exercise options.
This system is easy to install and adjust to build a versatile, whole-body routine. It’s easy to transport anywhere you want to fit in a workout, and you can use it indoors or out.
- Max weight limit: 300 pounds per strap, 600 pounds total
- Product weight: 2.9 pounds
- Color: black and red
- Anchor style: split anchor
- Accessories: workout poster, 12 online workouts
- Use it inside or out
- Lightweight, heavy-duty materials
- Ergonomic handles
- Colorful workout poster plus access to additional videos
- Simple, three-part system
- May have some quality control issues with the molded handles
- Customer service isn’t the best
CoreSlings Pro Bodyweight Trainer Bands
- [Bodyweight Workout and Resistance Workout in One Set] CoreSlings is a versatile training system allows you to easily switch it between bodyweight workout straps, resistance bands and combo trainer, by attaching resistance tubes or nonelastic exercise straps to the multifunction numbered anchoring straps.
- [Three Training Modes] CoreSlings Pro allows for three training types: bodyweight exercises, resistance exercises and combo exercises (a combination of bodyweight and resistance exercises modes). Combo mode is recommended to deliver maximum training results; being more efficient than just the resistance bands on their own.
- [Quick Length Adjustment System] Multifunction dual anchoring straps with numbered loops help quick and easy length adjusting during workout.
- [Three Anchor Options] Split door anchoring design: Dual anchoring straps with door stopper on the top are built for secure and flexible anchoring. Hang on the beam/pole: Anchor loops in dual anchoring straps make the setup on the beam/pole convenient. For those big and high anchor point: Use the extension strap.
- [Premium Quality] Made of high quality nylon with comfortable non-slip handles and foot straps, upgraded webbing materials with strongly sewn seams. Durable resistance tubes for long lasting. Light weight and portable fitness bands, supports 440 lbs.
CoreSlings presents another interesting take on suspension trainers with its Pro Bodyweight set. At first glance, this package may seem like a complex grouping of bands and straps, but it’s not as overwhelming as it seems.
This suspension training system offers a different type of versatility that allows you to adjust your workout intensity and resistance level. You get exercise straps, numbered anchoring straps, three pairs of resistance bands, handles, foot straps, and extension straps, meaning you can do almost anything, almost anywhere you can set up the anchor.
One of the most unique things about CoreSlings Pro is that you have three anchor options to meet your needs. You can do a split door anchor, dual anchor with the doorstop, or hanging on a beam or pole.
- Max weight limit: 180 pounds per tube
- Product weight: 4.5 pounds
- Color: black and orange
- Anchor style: three options – split door, dual, hanging
- Accessories: mesh carry bag, workout guide, spare carabiner
- Three anchor options to vary your workout
- Incorporate resistance bands for a tougher workout
- Adjustable bands offer variety
- Durable materials and quality construction
- Affordable price point
- May be complicated for beginners
- Handles aren’t as nice as some other options
OPG Bodyweight Training Bundle
- GET AMAZING RESULTS WITH IN JUST 30 MINUTES - with the OPG Body Weight Suspension Trainer Bundle 3-in-1 you will hit your fitness goals at home and on the go, developing a stronger core, burning calories, building endurance, and improving your flexibility and strength
- FITNESS BUNDLE 3-IN-1 SET - Create workout variations with your partner and friends using the Suspension Trainer Straps, 20lb Resistance Band and the 5 Pack Resistance Loop Bands, without interrupting to each other
- TRAIN AT YOUR OWN PACE - This Bodyweight Door Resistance Bands System is based on Simple Foundational Moves that everyone can do! Push, Pull, Plank, Squat, Lunge, Hinge & Rotate. Increase intensity with workout variations at your own pace
- ACCESSORIES ARE EASY TO SET UP AND USE - Easily attach and detach for Door Workout Equipment, rafters, trees, poles, ceiling mounts, pull up bars or other firm indoor or outdoor structures. No need for screws or drills. Throw it in the included travel bag when on the go
- OPG SUSPENSION STRAPS GUARANTEE - We are incredibly proud of our craftsmanship exercise straps and offer a lifetime warranty on all products. If your OPG products ever rip, simply give us a shout and we will replace them free of charge
OPG’s set incorporates suspension and resistance training. You get three sets in one to create a complete home gym that can fit in a drawstring bag when not in use.
OPG includes a travel bag, extension strap, suspension trainer straps, resistance cord, resistance loop bands, and rubber handles. You can attach the straps almost anywhere, including doors, trees, and ceiling mounts.
If you prefer a set that allows you to add in resistance training, this may be a solid choice because of the resistance band and loops. Plus, OPG offers a lifetime warranty on their products.
- Max weight limit: not listed
- Product weight: 2.7 pounds
- Color: multi-colored
- Anchor style: single
- Accessories: drawstring carry bag
- Three sets in one expand your workout options
- Durable, reinforced nylon bands with steel alloy buckles
- Includes extensions and handles
- Easy to use inside or out
- Includes a lifetime warranty on all products
- Maximum weight capacity not listed
- No workout suggestions included
PACEARTH Gymnastics Rings
- 【1100 lbs Weight Capacity】PACEARTH exercise rings' weight capacity is up to 1100 lbs, much more than other 600 lbs ones. Made of higher quality material ABS and are thicker, these gymnastics rings are safer and more comfortable for you to hold onto. (Outer diameter: 7.1”; Thickness: 1.1”)
- 【Slip-Proof】PACEARTH gym rings’ surface has a unique textured design, which prevents your hands from slipping of sweat and increases your grip strength to the utmost. We also provide two hand tapes for you to wrap around the workout rings for a more comfortable touch.
- 【Secure Serrated Edge Buckle】The length adjustable nylon straps are 14.76 ft each, long enough to hang on higher or lower locations and you can adjust the rings’ height freely as you need. The high-strength cam buckles have a serrated contact surface inside, so the straps are locked tighter and safer.
- 【Versatile Uses】The gymnastics ring can be used practically anywhere, such as at home, in the gym, hotel or park. They are perfect tools to do exercises like push-ups, dips, rows, aerial yoga, and are especially suitable for sedentary white-collar workers to do pull-ups, stretch the body, exercise the shoulder and relieve fatigue. The exercise rings can also strengthen children's bone density and promote the their growth.
- 【Easy to Install and Use】Only a few minutes to install the rings. Step1: Throw the strap over or through your mounting structure (pull-up bar, truss, tree branch, etc.); Step2: Attach the gymnastic ring to the strap, and feed the other end of the strap through the buckle in the direction as shown in pictures. Step3: Adjust 2 rings to the same height.
Do you like the idea of using gymnastic rings? Though not as popular as the straps, we thought we’d throw these in for something different and because they have some impressive features.
These gems have an 1100-pound weight capacity and come in five different colors. Made from high-quality materials and featuring special grip points for comfort, these rings are the best in class for several reasons.
Installation may be the easiest of any of the items on this list because you loop the strap around a beam or pole and adjust it using the serrated buckle. You can easily adjust the strap lengths to vary your workout, and they are easy to use almost anywhere.
- Max weight limit: 1100 pounds
- Product weight: 1 pound per ring
- Color: black, gray, green, red, or yellow
- Anchor style: dual
- Accessories: extra hand tape and black stickers
- 1100-pound maximum weight capacity
- 14.76-foot adjustable nylon straps
- Non-slip grip handles
- Multiple color options
- Easy installation and transport
- May not be as versatile as some other options
- Some quality control issues noted
Suspension training is an excellent way to factor in a full-body workout in short twenty to thirty minute sessions. You need limited gear and can set up almost anywhere, so it’s tough to find an excuse not to work out. Now that you know what to look for, you should be able to find the best suspension trainer set to meet your needs and get fit!