Healthy skin isn’t just about the products you use on the outside. It is also an indication of the health state of your body internally. Therefore, you might want to look beyond a moisturizer and other skincare products if you struggle with dry skin. Instead, consider a holistic approach that also nourishes your body with vitamins and minerals that promote healthy skin.
Below is a look at the 8 most vital vitamins and supplements for dry skin and a brief review of the best product in each category.
8 Vital Vitamin and Minerals for Dry Skin
Vitamin C is one of the most crucial minerals for combating dry skin. It enhances the production of the skin’s natural fats and strengthens the outer wall of the skin. It is also an antioxidant and plays a crucial role in the production of collagen. Some studies show that Vitamin C improves the skin’s barrier function, therefore, prevents water loss that may result in dry skin.
Vitamin-D is a fat-soluble mineral that improves the skin barrier function and promotes skin cell growth. It also maintains the skin’s immune system and serves as the first line of defense against pathogens. Also, vitamin D improves symptoms of skin disorders associated with dry skin and itching, such as eczema
Collagen serves as a critical building block for ligaments, bones, blood vessels, and skin. It accounts for 75% of your skin’s weight. Although it is a naturally occurring protein, most people need to supplement as the body does not produce enough due to factors such as aging, poor diet, excessive exposure to the sun, illness, and smoking, among others.
Vitamin E is a fat-soluble mineral that helps to repair damaged cells. As such, it helps to repair skin cells and also improves the skin’s moisture retention. It also works as an antioxidant that promotes the eradication of free radicals, which damage cell membranes. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that may alleviate skin itchiness and irritation. One study found that Vitamin E helps to relieve itchy skin in people with eczema.
Fish oil contains docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) essential fatty acids, anti-inflammatory and providing healing properties. Fish oil helps to maintain the skin’s hydration by preserving the skin’s fatty acid barrier. One study showed that fish oil supplements improved the symptoms of psoriasis, a chronic inflammatory skin disease.
Hyaluronic acid is mostly used as a topical skin supplement, but there are a few ingestible products. It helps to keep your skin supple, plumber, and smoother. It improves the skin’s elasticity and moisture retention.
The benefits of probiotics exceed beyond improved digestive function. They also improve your skin’s health. They boost skin barrier function, which helps to keep your skin hydrated. They also promote absorption of other nutrients required for healthy skin. Besides, many skin conditions are a result of inflammation. Probiotics counteract inflammation in the digestive system.
Astaxanthin gives shrimp and salmon their bright coral color. It is extracted from sea algae. It has antioxidant properties that reduce oxidative stress on the skin. As a result, it suppresses water loss from the skin and prevents the skin from aging.
8 Best Vitamins and Supplements for Dry Skin
Below is a review of the 8 best vitamins and supplements for dry skin.
1. Best Vitamin C Supplement: Vitamin C by Nature’s Bounty
- Immune support: 250-count, 500 milligram Vitamin C Tablets for immune support. Vitamin C is one of the leading nutritional vitamins for immune support. People reach for Vitamin C by Nature’s Bounty to help them maintain a healthy immune system all year long.
- Nourishes the immune system: Nature’s Bounty Vitamin C Tablets play an important role in the functioning of white blood cells, which are vital components of the immune system.
- Potent antioxidant: Nature’s Bounty Vitamin C Tablets also support antioxidant health. Vitamin C is one of the best antioxidants for fighting the free radicals. Free radicals can cause oxidative stress that may lead to premature aging of the cells.
- Purity is our priority: Nature’s Bounty is committed to safety and purity in all our supplements. Our Vitamin C Tablets are non-GMO, gluten- and sugar-free, and contain no artificial colors, or sweeteners.
- From the trusted wellness experts: Nature’s Bounty Vitamin C supplements are a product of 50 years of dedication to quality, consistency and scientific research to make vitamins and nutritional supplements of unrivaled excellence.
This pack has 250 Vitamin C soft gels. Each tablet delivers 500mg of Vitamin C in the form of Ascorbic acid. This exceeds the daily recommended value by 833%.
The supplement contains potent antioxidants which fight off free radicals in the body. Free radicals cause oxidative stress, which leads to the premature aging of cells. Therefore, this supplement ensures that your skin remains youthful and rejuvenated.
The vitamin C tablets are sugar-free, non-GMO, and gluten-free. Also, they do not contain sweeteners or artificial colors.
2. Best Vitamin D Supplement: NatureWise Vitamin D3 5000iu
- most active form: NatureWise Vitamin D3 in certified organic olive oil helps to support teeth and bone health, provide immune support, and promote healthy muscle function
- Essential Vitamin: Our formula delivers the same biologically active form of vitamin D produced by the body as a result of sun exposure, without exposure to sun rays
- Get your daily dose: The Vitamin D Council recommends 5,000 IU Vitamin D daily for adults to achieve and maintain optimal levels
- Highest potency: Our Vitamin D 5000 IU softgels are easy to swallow. Some research indicates that vitamin D3 in liquid softgel form is more bioavailable than powdered or tablet forms. No artificial additives
- Pure & natural: These Vitamin D3 immune support and bone health supplements are gluten-free and non-GMO. Third party tested for purity and potency. Packaging may vary due to high demand, same great product and ingredients.
This pack constitutes 360 mini-soft gels. However, the product is also available in a pack of 90 and 30 mini soft gels. The soft gels are easy to swallow. However, they tend to clump together during warm weather. Nevertheless, this does not compromise their potency.
This Vitamin D is similar to that of the Vitamin D synthesized by the body due to exposure to sun rays. Vitamin D3 is the most potent and bioavailable form of vitamin D. Each soft gel provides the daily recommended amount of vitamin D for adults – 5000iu.
Aside from Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3), it also contains organic olive oil. The olive oil promotes optimal absorption of Vitamin D. It also supports bone and teeth health, muscle function and boosts immunity.
This product does not contain allergens such as wheat, dairy, gluten, corn, soy, eggs, tree nuts, peanuts, fish, or shellfish. It is non-GMO and third-party tested for potency and purity.
3. Best Collagen Supplement: Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides Powder
- Bioavailable Collagen Peptides Powder ---- Sourced from grass-fed, pasture-raised bovine to ensure a high quality and sustainable source of this powerful ingredient. Digested and absorbed by the body quickly for maximum benefits.
- Health Benefits ---- Original Collagen Peptides with Hyaluronic Acid + Vitamin C is Vital Proteins exclusive product. Helps improve the health of your hair, skin, nails, joints and ligaments, and tendons**.
- Easy to Use ---- Soluble in hot or cold liquids, including coffee, smoothies, and tea. 1-2 scoops a day is all you need! It can be taken in the morning, afternoon or in the evening.
- Certifications ---- Paleo Friendly & Whole30 Approved. No added sugars or sweeteners. Gluten / cholesterol / heavy metals / dairy free. Flavorless, odorless.
- 20g Collagen Powder per Serving ---- We provide a scoop to measure it, which two scoops of powder = 20g. That's also why the container isn’t full and just has to leave room for the scoop. And our product quantity is based on weight, not canister size.
This supplement is in the form of hydrolyzed collagen. It is consumed by dissolving it in hot or cold liquids such as water, smoothies, tea, coffee, etc. It can be taken any time of the day.
Each serving (2 scoops) delivers 20g of collagen, 90mg of Vitamin C, and 80mg of Hyaluronic acid. Aside from improving skin elasticity, it also promotes healthy hair, joints, and nails.
It is made from grass-fed, pasture-raised bovine to ensure the highest nutritional standards. As a result, the peptides are readily available for absorption into the body once ingested. While it contains dairy as an allergen, it is non-GMO and gluten-free. Also, it does not contain sweeteners and is flavorless and odorless.
4. Best Vitamin E Oil: Vitamin E Oil by Nature’s Bounty
- When applied to the skin, Vitamin E supports healthy complexion
- Contributes to healthy skin
- Can be taken orally
- Apply to skin as a moisturizer
- These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Packaging may vary due to new packaging updates, same great product.
This Vitamin E supplement can be applied topically or consumed orally for healthy skin. When applied to the skin, it serves as a moisturizer to lock in the skin’s natural moisture level. As an oral supplement, it serves as a powerful antioxidant. It also boosts immunity and heart health.
The recommended dosage for topical and oral use is 5 drops (0.25ml) per use. Although vegetarian, it contains allergens such as soybeans and wheat germ. It also contains lemon oil but is unflavored.
5. Best Fish Oil: Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega
- WHY OMEGA-3S - Research shows that the essential fatty acids EPA & DHA in fish oil support heart, brain, eye & immune health. Omega-3s may also help support a healthy mood.
- #1 FISH OIL BRAND IN THE U.S.** - Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega features high concentration omega-3 fish oil in soft gels. This formula meets the daily recommended dose suggested by the American Heart Association to support a healthy heart. **Source: ClearCut Analytics Amazon Segment Sales last 12 months ending Feb 28, 2021.
- BETTER ABSORPTION, BETTER TASTE, NO FISHY BURPS - All of our omega-3 fish oil concentrates are in the triglyceride molecular form (the form naturally found in fish) for optimal absorption. Ultimate Omega has a great lemon taste.
- PURITY GUARANTEED - Every batch of Nordic Naturals fish oil is crafted from fresh, wild-caught, omega-rich fish. We are committed to using only non-GMO, gluten- & dairy-free ingredients with no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
- ETHICAL INNOVATION - Nordic Naturals has always been at the forefront of sustainable & ethical practices in the natural products industry. Through science & innovation, we are committed to delivering safe, effective nutrients for optimal wellness.
The Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega constitutes 90, 1280mg Omega 3 soft gels enough for 45 servings. The soft gels have a lemon flavor that ensures you don’t get fishy burps or after-taste. Each gel contains highly potent omega 3 fatty acids in triglyceride molecular form.
The recommended dosage of two soft gels per day meets the daily recommended intake of Omega 3 by the American Heart Association. The supplement is made from wild-caught omega-3 rich fish. It is non-GMO, gluten-free, and dairy-free. It is also free from artificial colors, preservatives, and flavors.
6. Best Probiotic: NewRhythm Probiotic
- ★Made in New York, USA★ NewRhythm 50 Billion Probiotics is made in a Facility Based in New York, USA. Our Facility is GMP Certificated , which Represent the Highest Level of Technology, Quality Purity and Consistence.
- ★50 Billions 20 Strains Targeted Release Formula★ NewRhythm 50Billion Probiotics Capsules is Scientifically Backed and Clinically Proven, Formulated by Doctor with 50 Billion Living Organisms Per Serving, Featuring Targeted Release Technology to Help Probiotics Survive Stomach Acids and Reach Your Intestinal Track. Organic Prebiotics Fiber is also Included In the Formula.
- ★Potent and Pure for Your Digestive Health and Immune Health*★ Our All Natural Probiotics Provides Support For the Establishment and Maintenance of Favorable Intestinal Flora. Gives You Powerful Support for Healthy Digestion and Balanced Intestinal Ecology. Our Products are Shelf Stable that Does NOT Require Refrigeration
- ★100% Natural, Non-GMO, Gluten Free★NewRhythm 50 Billion Probiotics is Formulated with 100% Natural Ingredients and Independently Tested in 3rd Party Labs in USA. Our Probiotics Supplement is Verified NON-GMO, Gluten Free and Verified Free of Sugar, Soy, Yeast, Egg, Wheat, Corn, Peanuts, Fish, Shellfish, Magnesium Stearate, Artificial Ingredients, Fillers, Binders, Preservatives.
The NewRythm probiotic comes with 60 veggie capsules. Each serving contains 50 Billion CFU and 20 strains of probiotics. Its formula also includes prebiotic fiber. It promotes good gut health for healthy digestion and a balanced intestinal ecology.
It is shelf-stable and does not require refrigeration. It is also 100% natural, non-GMO, and gluten-free. It is made in a lab in New York and is third-party tested.
Probiotics can help treat a variety of dry skin conditions as well including eczema, atopic dermatitis, acne, and allergic inflammation and skin hypersensitivity. Unhealthy gut bacteria can have a significant impact on your overall health as well as the condition of your skin.
7. Best Hyaluronic Acid: Cerave Hyaluronic Acid Serum
- [ HYALURONIC ACID SERUM ] CeraVe Hydrating Hyaluronic Acid Serum for Face is formulated with our highest concentration of hyaluronic acid, an ingredient that helps retain skin’s natural moisture. Helps skin appear more hydrated and smoother.
- [ SMOOTH TEXTURE ] Lightweight, hydrating serum with a smooth, gel texture. If layering with an eye cream or facial moisturizer, apply HA Serum in a thin layer to slightly damp skin and allow to fully absorb into skin before applying additional products.
- [ ALL DAY HYDRATION ] With Vitamin B5 to help soothe skin. Features CeraVe's patented MVE ingredient-delivery technology to continually release moisturizing ingredients and provide 24-hour lasting hydration.
- [ 3 ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Ceramides are found naturally in the skin and make up 50% of the lipids in the skin barrier. All CeraVe products are formulated with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II) to help restore and maintain the skin’s natural barrier
- [ DERMATOLOGIST RECOMMENDED BRAND ] Noncomedogenic, paraben free, and fragrance free. CeraVe Skincare is developed with dermatologists and has products suitable for dry skin, sensitive skin, oily skin, acne-prone, and more
This is a hyaluronic acid serum for topical use on the face. It contains three essential ceramides: 1, 3, and 6-II, which help restore and maintain the skin’s barrier. It also contains Vitamin B5.
It retains the skin’s natural moisture and helps it feel smoother and softer. It has a smooth, lightweight, gel-like texture for easy application. It can be layered with other skincare products, such as an eye cream or moisturizer. Its continuous release technology ensures that your skin stays hydrated for 24 hours after a single application.
This product is developed by dermatologists and is suitable for use on all skin types, including acne-prone, oily skin, dry skin, and sensitive skin. It is paraben-free, fragrance-free, and noncomedogenic.
8. Best Astaxanthin Supplement: Tripple Strength Astaxanthin
- We use only 100% Icelandic Astaxanthin sourced from Haematococcus pluvialis micro-algae.
- Astaxanthin is a lipid-soluble and should be taken with a fat. We blend our Astaxanthin with cold-pressed Organic Virgin Coconut oil to aid with absorption.*
- No longer need to worry about taking 3 capsules a day. Our one a day formula contains 12mg of Astaxanthin per softgel.*
- Non-GMO Verified, Soybean Oil and Gluten Free Manufactured in a cGMP certified facility in CA.
- Your satisfaction means everything to our company. If you're not thrilled with our Astaxanthin, simply return it to us for a refund.^
This pack consists of 60 soft gels. Each soft gel is made of 12mg lipid-soluble Astaxanthin combined with virgin coconut oil. Since it is fat-soluble, the coconut oil ensures that it is bioavailable during the digestion process. Therefore, you only need to take one soft gel per day.
It is made from carotenoid derived from Haematococcus Pluvialis microalgae. It is Non-GMO, gluten-free, soy-free, and paleo-friendly. Its package has a flip-top cap for easy access and sealing.
Astaxanthin has been shown to neutralize free radical damage, calm skin inflammation, and improve your overall skin health. Combining topical and oral doses of astaxanthin can also help you maintain skin moisture.
If your struggle with dry skin, a vitamin supplement may help with skin hydration and water retention. It is essential to consult a doctor about taking a given supplement. Also, if you have a persistent dry skin issue, see a dermatologist for proper diagnosis or treatment. These supplements should not be used as a substitute for medically prescribed treatment.
When determining which vitamin or supplement to buy for your dry skin, check the ingredient list for allergens. Also, third-party tested products with a high rating are more trustworthy.