Weight lifting is a fantastic way to increase muscle tone and cardiovascular endurance. It’s also an activity you can easily do at home. All you need is a weight set of your own. This guide tells you what to look for when buying weights and highlights the best fitness gear 300 lb Olympic weight sets.
Buyer’s Guide: What to Look for When Buying Weights
Whether you want to perfect your deadlift or boost lean muscle to improve your CrossFit endurance, the right home weight set will help you achieve your goals. The most common Olympic weight sets are popularly used for both home and commercial gyms.
As you shop around for your perfect weight set, consider these characteristics:
● Plates: Do the plates have grips if you want to use them off the bar — for example, to increase core strength with weighted sit-ups?
● Barbell: In some cases, the barbell is included. In others, it’s sold separately.
● Handle grip: If a bar is included, check the grip. Ideally, it will have cross-hatched lines to ensure a more secure grip while lifting. This comes from a manufacturing process known as knurling.
● Safety collar: Check if you need safety collars to secure the plates to the bar. If so, ensure these are included in the set.
● Material: Olympic weight sets are usually pure metal. If you’re looking for weights to use in Crossfit, opt for rubberized weight plates with low bounce.
Keep these points in mind as you peruse the weight sets below.
Top 5 Picks for 300 lb Olympic Weight Sets
When you first start browsing the vast selection of Olympic weight sets available, you may get overwhelmed. Narrow down your options with the help of this guide. Here are five Olympic weight sets worth considering.
Best Overall: Fitness Gear 300 lb Olympic Weight Set
If you’re looking for a fast and easy solution to your weight gear needs, opt for the Fitness Gear 300 lb Olympic Weight Set. You can do a variety of exercises with training weights, from bench presses to squats. The set features a seven-foot 45 lb chrome bar. You also get two spring clips for security plus several plates with handle grips. Various weights allow for a customized workout.
● Easily accommodate multiple users with varied customized weights
● Knurling on the bar
● Plates designed for a comfortable grip
● Only two spring clips included
Best Basic Set: CAP Barbell Olympic Weight Set
If you want to keep it simple without all the fancy extras, check out the CAP Barbell Olympic Weight Set. This three-piece Olympic bar is simple and straightforward. The bar itself is seven feet so that you can load on additional weights beyond the initial 110 lbs provided. The Olympic plates offer grips, so you can also use them off the bar. Weight plates are available up to 45 pounds. Grip holes make holding and loading fast and safe. Additional weights are sold separately, so you can beef up weight as you progress.
● CAP is a major brand, so you can be sure you’re getting a quality product
● Weights are made of solid cast iron
● The weights’ black enamel finish offers an attractive appearance, in case your weight bench is on display
● The bar doesn’t have knurling
Best Versatile Weight Set: Club Quality 4-Weight Deluxe Barbell Set by Step Fitness
- The 4-weight Deluxe Barbell Set is the perfect starter set, totaling a weight of 60 lbs. (including the bar)
- Weights are environmentally friendly. Weights are a solid core of safe, clean recycled material encased in a strong HDPE shell (Includes 2 XS – 2.75lb, 2 S – 5.5lb, 2 M – 8.25lb, & 2 L 11lb weights)
- The 1” diameter, 54” long threaded 3-piece bar is made of a heavy gauge steel. Bar is powder coated for long life
- Unlike other weight sets, these weights are designed like steering wheels with multiple grips making the weights easier to hold and offering expanded exercise options.
- Quickly change out weights with the Nylon quick-release collars hinged to improve locking functionality and making them quick and easy to take on and off.
The Club Quality 4-Weight Deluxe Barbell Set by Step Fitness wins in versatility thanks to the steering wheel design of the weight plates. The grips allow you to easily hold the plates in your hand, making this a perfect pick if you also want to lift weights off the bar. The bar is 1″ in diameter and 54″ long and made of heavy gauge steel for maximum durability. The weights have nylon quick-release collars for easy locking and quick removal. The major drawback of this set is that it only provides you with 60 pounds worth of weight.
● Weights made of recycled material, encased in an HDPE shell
● Easy-handle grips, perfect for off-the-bar weight lifting
● Quick-release collar so you can put weights on and off the bar quickly
● Only includes weight up to 60 pounds
Best Set Without a Bar: XMark Black Diamond Plates, One-Year Warranty, Patented Design, Olympic Weight Plates
- INCLUDED: (4) 10 lb, (4) 5 lb, and (2) 2.5 lb Olympic weight plates with 2" stainless steel inserts. Total weight 65 lbs.
- XMARK BLACK DIAMOND: Harder than rock, tougher than nails… extraordinary quality makes this plate highly desirable. The unique Patented Design and flawless craftsmanship render it a must-have in any home gym.
- ONE-YEAR HOME WARRANTY: XMark warrants their Black Diamond Plates to be free from defects in workmanship and materials, under normal residential use and conditions, for a period of one (1) year from the original date of purchase. Cosmetic damage is not covered by warranty.
- PURCHASE WITH CONFIDENCE: XMark is a trusted brand found in homes and gyms across the United States. The solidly-built cast iron cores are encased with Premium All-Natural Virgin Rubber which maintains a bold, solid color throughout the life of the plate. The precision-tooled stainless-steel inserts allow the plates to slide freely on the bar. Long-lasting quality is what you can expect from XMark. Any noticeable odor after unboxing will dissipate.
- TOUGH AND DURABLE: Rubber, by its very nature, is tough and durable. All products made from rubber have a distinct smell. The smell will generally dissipate over time; however, some individuals are more sensitive to the odor.
If you already have a bar and need a new Olympic weight set, opt for the XMark Black Diamond Plates. This set includes ten weights ranging from 2.5 lb to 10 lb. Each one has 2″ stainless steel inserts. The plates are recognized for their durability, thanks to their cast iron cores, which are encased in rubber to prevent chipping.
● Patented design
● One-year warranty
● Anti-chip rubber casing
● Some people might not like the rubber smell
Best Olympic Weight Add-On: Power Zone Squat Stand Rack Power Cage
- HEAVY DUTY FRAME: Constructed with premium quality steel construction, this power rack supports up to an incredible 805 lb max weight capacity barbell.
- ANGLED PULL UP BAR: The pull up bar is adjustable and reversible with 8 different positions and angled for both wide and narrow grip pull ups.
- SPOTTER ARMS: You will always have a spotter in the Power Zone with safety latches for ease of mind and safety assurance when squatting with heavier weights.
- OLYMPIC PLATE STORAGE: With safety clips, organize weights on racks while adding extra stability when utilizing the machine. (Weights NOT included)
- OLYMPIC BARS: Fits up to 7 ft. Olympic bars.
If you want to work on your squats, this is a must-have addition to your Olympic weights purchase. The Power Zone Squat Stand Rack Power Cage comes with a heavy-duty frame made of premium steel. The power rack supports up to 805 pounds of maximum weight. For safety, the rack has “spotter arms” with safety latches, so you can be sure you have back up on hand, even when you’re lifting alone.
● Fits up to seven Olympic bars
● Includes six resistance band pins
● Safety clips let you organize weight on the rack and add stability while utilizing
● Takes up a lot of space
The Bottom Line: The Best 300 lb Olympic Weight Set
In the end, the “right” weight set depends on your personal preferences. Any of the above options will serve you well and should meet your basic needs. The one you choose depends mainly on your priorities. For example, if your top concern is versatility, go for the Club Quality 4-Weight Deluxe Barbell Set by Step Fitness, whereas if you want something basic, pick the CAP Barbell Olympic Weight Set.
If you’re looking for an all-rounder, opt for the “Best Overall” listed here: Fitness Gear 300 lb Olympic Weight Set.