Most fitness tracker devices can track your heart rate, but not all of them can measure your blood pressure. However, after the first fitness tracker started to include a blood pressure monitor device, other manufacturers began to include it as well.
Currently, there are a few brands that include the blood pressure monitor feature in their fitness tracking devices. The fitness tracker devices that include a blood pressure monitor comes with all the basic features installed.
Why do you need a blood pressure monitoring feature on your fitness tracker device at all? Let’s look at why you need one and how these blood pressure monitors work.
Why Do You Need a Device to Monitor Your Blood Pressure?
At the current rate of blood pressure-related conditions, it becomes necessary to find a way to monitor blood pressures. Not many people keep their eyes on their blood pressure, and more than half of them do not even know how to do it.
On top of that, many people feel the need to check their own blood pressure regularly; however a lot of people don’t see the value in monitoring their blood pressure until it is too late and they already have issues. So to become aware of your overall health condition, it is a good idea to know your blood pressure, and a fitness tracker device with a blood pressure monitor included may very well save your life.
How Does it Work?
The fitness trackers that include a blood pressure monitor do not automatically check your blood pressure. It will still need some action from the wearer of the device and is still your responsibility to check your blood pressure often. But with these tracker devices, it becomes much easier to keep an eye on your blood pressure and your health.
You only need to keep your finger on the sensor for 20 seconds so your blood pressure can be measured. While the fitness tracker continually monitors your heart rate, you only need to take your blood pressure with the sensor. This will instantly display the readings on the fitness tracker display to give you a blood pressure reading.
It needs to be said that the results of these fitness trackers may not be as accurate as the inflatable blood pressure monitors your doctor uses. But it will give you a very close indication, so you can promptly react to readings of your fitness tracker.
These fitness trackers that include a blood pressure monitor must not be seen as a replacement to seeing your doctor. It will still be necessary for you to go for your scheduled appointments to get your blood pressure checked. These tracker devices are just a safety measure to get an early warning before it is too late.
So, for your own benefit, regularly measure your blood with your tracker device.
The Good About These Fitness Tracker Blood Pressure Monitors
- You can take measurements between scheduled appointments
- All the records of your fitness tracker can be shared with your doctor
- Your blood pressure can be measured at anytime and anywhere without extra cost
- The fitness tracker can help you prevent your blood pressure from getting too high
- This will help you to stay on top of your schedule and keep you motivated
- These fitness trackers that measure blood pressure also keep track of your heart rate to give you early warnings
- Anybody can use these devices to keep track and a sharp eye on your overall health. They are straightforward to use and can even be used by children and the elderly
The Not So Good About Fitness Trackers That Monitor Blood Pressure
- Fitness tracker blood pressure monitors are not as accurate as those used by your doctor
- Because you are continually moving your arm, it can give you inaccurate readings if it is sensitive to movement
- The battery may get too flat to give you proper readings. Regular charging is needed
Tips on Correctly Using The Fitness Tracker Blood Pressure Monitor
Some of these fitness tracker devices allow you to keep track of your blood pressure continuously. Others may only let you measure your blood pressure one time, and yet others will enable you to do it both ways.
- When you measure your blood pressure and find that it is not reading in the safe region, contact your doctor. Never ignore the readings of your blood pressure monitor
- It is safe to measure your blood pressure more than once and then compare the results. For those people that have a high blood pressure problem, it is safer to take more than one reading every time
- Regularly check to make sure your fitness tracker device has a good battery to give you accurate readings. If the battery runs too low, it will not give proper readings
- Avoid things that may affect your blood pressure before measuring it; caffeine and cigarettes or too much stress, as well as physical activities, may influence your blood pressure
- Make sure you are relaxed before measuring your blood pressure. You should sit down and relax for a while before you measure the blood pressure. Your arm should be resting on a surface to ensure a more accurate reading.
- The fitness tracker device should not be too tight or too loose around your arm. There should be enough space between the device and your skin, so you do not sweat where it is touching
- Read the instructions that come with your fitness tracker so you can become familiar with its workings and operations. An essential thing to do is to check for firmware updates regularly so your device will work optimally.
As mentioned before, these fitness tracker devices are not a replacement for regularly seeing your doctor. Keep your appointments with your doctor and share your tracker device data with your doctor. This way, you can be sure that the tracker device is worth it and is used for its purpose. That purpose is to give you and your doctor good, reliable information in time to keep you healthy.